Saturday, January 24, 2015

More About St Maarten And What To Do There

By Janine Hughes

When looking for a place to visit in the beautiful Caribbean, one island must be on the list for consideration. St Maarten, also known as Saint Martin, is a gorgeous island located in the northeast Caribbean to the east of Puerto Rico. Saint Martin is divided into two unequal parts, with around 61% of the island belonging to France and the other 39% belonging to the Netherlands.

Because of this division, Dutch and French are obviously two languages you will hear when visiting. However, know that English is actually the most commonly spoken language by locals. There is also a local dialect based on creole French. You may hear another languages known as Papiamento, and this is spoken mainly by those who have migrated from neighbouring Caribbean islands like Aruba and also Curacao. All of this explains why the island is known by a variety of names, including SXM.

This location is very popular as a tourist destination and you won't be short of things to do should you visit here, no matter what your personal taste it. Visit the French side to experience nudist beaches, taste the wonderful cuisine with French and West Indian influences and shop at the local markets outdoors. Visit the Dutch side if you are a lover of nightlife and casinos, as well as trying locally created rum and, of course, lounging on beautiful beaches.

Accommodation here ranges from guesthouses and hotels to timeshares and private villas. Visitors can book any of these options through their preferred travel agent when booking flight plans or they can book separately online. The top luxury resort in SXM is The Belmond La Samanna, known simpy as La Samanna locally. It is a five-star accommodation worthy of its accolades.

If you are going to partake in any of the island's plentiful activities, some of them must include the beach. There are 37 beaches to enjoy here, so whether you like watching the sunset, relaxing with a good drink, riding on horseback, deep sea fishing or scuba diving and snorkeling, you will find it here. There is hardly anything you cannot do on one of these amazing beaches.

Visitors can take any one of several day trips on offer during their trip. A day trip to Anguilla or to Prickly Pear Cay is a must during a visit to Saint Martin. Packages include snorkeling adventures, lunch and refreshments, as well as any port fees. These day trips cost around $100 USD.

A day trip to Anguilla by catamaran costs a little over $200 USD, as it includes an exciting adventure at Dolphin Discovery Anguilla. Here, visitors can swim with the dolphins and also choose one of three in-water activities with these amazing creatures. The package includes the thirty-minute cruise to the island and a barbecue lunch at one of Anguilla's best restaurants on the beach.

For less than one hundred USD, you can take a shore excursion around SXM itself. There are a range of prices with different things to see and do. These excursions are around 5 hours long. The pirate excursion is a great option for adventurers or young adults who won't mind the unlimited drinks part of the package.

About the Author: